Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: A Great Visit

  1. #11
    Inactive Member timp's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2007
    Posts
    214
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That's a nice looking set up. Way to go! I have a couple of hf-14s that are monoblocks version of the hf-85, minus the pre section. I think. Your power tubes are 4 6bq5s?

    How did you mod yours?

    Tim

  2. #12
    Inactive Member selmerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2003
    Posts
    384
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I take it the other thread was not welcome...

    Hi Tim,

    The HF-85 is a preamp, you might be confusing it with the HF-81 which is a stereo integrated amp with a similar power amp circuit to the HF-14's. FWIW the Decware amp uses 6BQ5's triode-strapped single-ended. I modded the HF-85 most notably eliminating the selector switch and all of the various EQ components for tape input, mic input etc. The phono signal goes directly to the phono tubes and the RIAA components are mounted directly on the tube pins rather than on the selector switch as it was stock. Similarly line signal goes straight to the grids of the line section tubes. Eliminates a lot of circuitry and cleans up the sound somewhat. I also created a floating ground, which was a copy from the later ST-84 preamp. Both of those mods were from the Yahoo Eico group, which I used to be part of. Apart from that, I've upgraded some of the signal capacitors and when the power supply can cap went I replaced it with some film caps.

    HF-14's are supposed to be *very* nice, hopefully someday I'll get to hear some. Enjoy.

    Dave

  3. #13
    Inactive Member timp's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2007
    Posts
    214
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Nice!

    Do I see Eicos on top? How are you using them?

    Tim

  4. #14
    Inactive Member selmerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2003
    Posts
    384
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Tim,

    That's from my setup, I probably should have started a new thread about Jim's...

    The Eico stuff is an HF-85 pre and an HF-90 FM tuner. The HF-85 is pretty heavily modded, and drives the active xo (Rane AC22B) which drives the power amps which are underneath. Before it I had a Marantz 7T, which was very good and probably a little more refined in some respects, but ultimately the smoothness, detail and purity of the sound from the HF-85 won out for me. I haven't regretted getting rid of the 7T at all, although I'd like to have some of those EQ curves back...

    With the amps underneath the center one is a Decware Zen Select driving the HF, on either side are Radio Craftsmen RC-2 monoblocks driving the LF.

    Dave

  5. #15
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Wow, it's just...gone. forums

  6. #16
    Inactive Member timp's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2007
    Posts
    214
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Dave

    Thanks for the update.

    You're right about the eicos. I got confused. Yup, I love the 14s. They sound really clean. They are keepers for sure.

    Tim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.